Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Day 12. One Long (Really Bad) Climb Down to the NOC

One Long (Really Bad) Climb Down to the NOC

Date: March 24, 2012

Day number: 12

Wake info: 0701h @ Microtel Inn in Franklin, NC

Start Mile Marker (MM) & Time of Day (TOD): 124.4 mile @ 0830h at Burningtown Gap

Pain scale AM (1-10): 2

Happiness scale AM (1-10): 8

Hunger scale AM (1-10): 1

Start weather: Cold, breezy, wet, mostly cloudy at the start but sunny most of the morning, 50s.


End MM & TOD: 137.3 mile @ 1702h at Nantahala Outdoor Center (NOC)

Approximate miles covered today: 13.5 miles (extra miles to water, shelter, views)

Pain scale PM (1-10): 3

Happiness scale PM (1-10): 9

Hunger scale PM (1-10): 2

End weather: mostly sunny but the last hour was in a soaking rain.


Resting time: 2:20

Bedtime: 2230h

Where slept: Bed @ the Fontana Village Lodge

Money spent: $0 (thanks, Dad!)

Resupply: no


Trail conditions: In the morning, the Trail was muddy in places, but mostly dry. Lots of roots and a good amount of rocks all day. Very muddy, of course, during the rain. Around the Jumpoff the Trail became very rugged with massive boulders requiring careful, slow navigation, often employing hand-holds.


Shoe conditions: In good shape. Stayed dry even after an hour of steady rain!


Liters of water consumed: 10 Liters

Approx fuel burn time: 0 minutes

Approx. pack weight: 14 lbs

Number of river fords: 0

Number of paved road X-ings: 1 (NC 1365 @ Tellico Gap)

Number of road miles: 0

Number of named mountain summits: 3

Number of wrong turns: 1. This one cost me less than 10 minutes time and 0.2 miles.

Number of times I stubbed a toe: 6

Number of times I've fallen: 0. But I almost busted it twice today! Very slippery.

Number of bugs swallowed: 0


Songs playing in my head:

  • Good Day Sunshine - The Beatles
  • Rockin' Down the Highway ? - Three Doobie Brothers
  • One ? - Three Dog Night
  • Yellow Submarine - The Beatles
  • Jet - Paul McCartney and Wings
  • Singing In the Rain - gotta stay positive even in inclement weather!

Happenings at home: Archer's broken arm is healing; Josie is waiting on him hand and foot. (We're such lucky parents to have such sweet kids!)

Companions (TH for thru-hikers): Wolf, Super Wolf, and three other thru-hikers whose names I didn't catch.

Trail Magic: Dad and Beanie slacking me and putting me up in a hotel!

Flora: Spring is about to pop! Green leaves are beginning to show on trees at the lower elevations. However, something is also killing a large number of deciduous trees of all varieties in this section of the Trail. Moss and lichen seem to be strangling entire mountains worth of trees. Pretty depressing.

Fauna: Throughout journey I keep hearing a deep, barely audible, low frequency sound that vibrates the ground with a "whomp, whomp, whom, wh, wh, wh, wh," and I'd sure like for someone out there to tell me what it is. It sounds like something is banging the ground, like a jackrabbit. The sound is too deep to be a woodpecker.

Vistas: Great views today from Copper Ridge Bald, Rocky Bald, and especially from the observation tower at Wesser Bald. I'm a little embarrassed to say this, but I actually Skyped with Archer from atop the Wesser Bald observation tower; I just wanted someone else to experience it with me! (I hope the video below plays!)

Attractions: All the vistas above and finishing at the NOC.

State of body: Despite the long descents today I'm feeling pretty good. Of course, having a light pack helps!

State of mind: I'm feeling really positive. Happy to be able to spend time with Dad and Beanie.

Lessons learned/confirmed today:

  • Every day brings pain and sore muscles. But every morning I'm feeling better and ready to go again. This pattern is not abnormal.
  • Massaging the feet and sore, stiff muscles really aids the healing process.

Notes:

  • Today's descents were excruciating. I thought the one from Rocky Bald to Telico Gap was bad enough, but the last 5 miles (from the Jump Off to the NOC) was wicked! Imagine walking down one continuous flight of stairs for 2.5 hours. Then imagine that every so often 6 or 7 steps are removed and you have to clamber down. Then imagine that every so often there are no steps but rather a slick, smooth incline of rocks and dirt and leaves. Oh, add to that an hour of a good, soaking rain. That is what the end of my day was like.
  • The signature dessert of ice cream, granola, cranberries, caramel, and chocolate at the Riverside Restaurant is a must have treat!

Droid Phone Notes: Nothing of note here; recharging every night in the hotel room.

Photos:

Published with Blogger-droid v2.0.2

22 comments:

  1. That sound you hear is possibly a Ruffed Grouse (The state bird of PA) drumming.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am no longer sure where you're getting your information, but good topic. I must spend some time learning more or understanding more. Thank you for fantastic information I used to be looking for this information for my mission.

    Feel free to visit my website :: Suggested Reading ()

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like that which you guys are often up too.
    This kind of clever work and reporting! Keep up the awesome works guys I’ve incorporated you guys to our web log.


    Here is my web-site Click Through The Following Website Page

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love reading through an article that will make men and women think.
    Also, thank you for allowing me to comment!

    Feel free to visit my webpage: business Max (http://austriasocialnetworks.promotion.pk/members/georgiana/activity/2283)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey are employing WordPress for your weblog platform?
    I’m new to your blog world but I’m trying to get
    started and create my very own. Do you require any html coding expertise to
    make your own personal weblog? Any help could be greatly appreciated!


    Also visit my blog College University

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey There. I discovered your weblog the use of msn.
    This is a very smartly written article. I will be sure to bookmark it and return to learn more
    of your useful info. Thank you for the post.
    I will definitely return.

    Also visit my web blog Story Books

    ReplyDelete
  7. Greetings! That is my first stop by at your website!
    We're a team of volunteers and starting a brand new initiative in a residential district in the same niche. Your blog provided us of good use information to work on. You have inked a extraordinary job!

    Also visit my weblog: press release marketing :: xcitez.com ::

    ReplyDelete
  8. The main reason I ask is really because your style and design seems different then most blogs
    and I’m searching for something unique. P. S My apologies so you can get off-topic but I had to ask!


    My web page; video game industry

    ReplyDelete
  9. Simply desire to say your article is as amazing. The clarity on your put up is simply nice and i can
    think you are a professional on this subject.
    Fine along with your permission let me to clutch your RSS feed to
    stay updated with approaching post. Thanks a million and please keep up the rewarding work.



    My web-site; restaurants news

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm really enjoying the design and layout of your site. It's a very easy on the eyes which makes it much more enjoyable for me to come here
    and visit more often. Did you hire out a designer to create
    your theme? Excellent work!

    my web blog: publishing news (friendblaze.com)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Maybe you have considered about including a little
    bit more than just your articles? After all,
    everything you say is valuable and every thing.
    But think of in the event that you added some very nice graphics or
    videos to offer your posts more, "pop"! Your articles is great but with pics and video clips, this amazing site could
    truly be one of the better in its niche. Great web log!


    Stop by my blog - education blog

    ReplyDelete
  12. Heya i'm for the primary time here. I found this board and I in finding It really helpful & it helped me out much. I am hoping to provide one thing again and help others like you helped me.

    Also visit my site :: home architecture

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think the admin of this website is truly working hard for his website, for the reason that here every information is quality based stuff.



    Here is my blog post: click the next internet site

    ReplyDelete
  14. There’s plenty of folks that I think would love your articles.

    Please i would ike to know. Many thanks

    Feel free to surf to my site - video game industry

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi there, I wish for to subscribe for this blog to obtain newest
    updates, so where can i do it please assist.

    My blog - mouse click the next article

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi that is type of off topic but I was wondering if
    blogs use WYSIWYG editors or if you need to by hand code with HTML.

    I’m starting a web log soon but haven't any coding skills and so i wanted to get advice from some body with experience. Any help could be enormously appreciated!

    Also visit my web-site ... http://fumigacion.it-services.cl ()

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm really enjoying the design and layout of your site. It's a very easy on the eyes which makes it much more enjoyable for
    me to come here and visit more often. Did you hire out a designer to create your theme?
    Superb work!

    Also visit my web blog brazilian hair

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is really interesting, You're a very skilled blogger. I've joined your rss
    feed and look forward to seeking more of
    your fantastic post. Also, I've shared your site in my social networks!

    Stop by my website - This Internet page

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hey, I think your website may be having browser compatibility problems.
    When I look at your site in Ie, it looks fine nevertheless
    when opening in Internet Explorer, it has some overlapping.
    I simply desired to offer you a quick heads up!
    Other then that, wonderful web log!

    Here is my page; news press releases **

    ReplyDelete
  20. Every weekend i used to go to see this site, because i want enjoyment, for the reason that this this
    website conations actually pleasant funny information too.


    Feel free to visit my web site College University

    ReplyDelete
  21. Good day I am so grateful I found your website, I really
    found you by mistake, while I was browsing on Digg for something else, Anyhow I am
    here now and would just like to say thanks a lot for a fantastic post and a all round enjoyable blog (I
    also love the theme/design), I don’t have time to browse it all at
    the moment but I have bookmarked it and also added in your RSS feeds,
    so when I have time I will be back to read more, Please do keep up the great work.


    Also visit my page :: click the next site

    ReplyDelete
  22. This website was... how do you say it? Relevant!
    ! Finally I've found something that helped me. Thanks a lot!

    Here is my blog :: energy engineering

    ReplyDelete